Well, for the 2nd year (and despite my presence) the Robins have decided to nest in the air-hose reel… Well at least this time I figured this out… last time they got “spin-dryered” when I ran the hose out. At least they were only nest building (no eggs or chicks). Today there was definite “cheeping” and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with worms and insects.
Woodworking, Staging and Tools
At the same time the planking continues! Actually really making progress now, and have started overlapping planks at the stern and reaching the keel area at the stem.
Having already fallen off the staging twice (duh!) the fact that I just had to further increase the height to reach the new planks is making me be a little more careful – trying to avoid the next post being from hospital. The staging is just “slices” of pine tree (from one that blew down last winter) and builder’s planks, screwed together with small wedges to level everything.
On the subject of planking, I have adopted the approach of initially using a hand plane to smooth the hull (this is mainly taking the “corners” off adjacent planks where they are turning through the bilge curve, before using a hand-held Bosch belt sander (my tool of the year) to finish the process.
On the subject of tools, I noticed my workbench was displaying quite a range of tools. Some of these I inherited from my paternal Grandfather Joseph (Victor) Duckett, and some from my dad, and some from an unknown American cabinet maker whose tool chest I bought at auction, and a few (like my prized Japanese pull saws) which I purchased myself….. quite a slice of time….