Just a note to commemorate another milestone. Yesterday we (neighbour Mike and I) lifted the engine into the boat! Hurrah!
We had spent a deal of time debating how best to do this, with the hydraulic bucket on the tractor being the initial option – but in the end we both felt a bit “windy” about working under the engine held up by an ageing tractor, and instead opted for the “trusty” Chinese chain-hoist strapped to an RSJ in the roof of Mike’s barn. We then picked the engine up, and manoeuvred the boat under the engine. To make it more interesting, we really don’t know how heavy it is – but the two of us could not lift it by hand to get it to the engine crane to put on a trailer for the trip to the barn (200yd push in light snow!)
The decision as to installation was to epoxy four M10 studs into the engine bearers and then use nuts on the studs to secure the engine bed down.
Woodwork Meets Engineering
This was another point in the build where the “looks good to the eye” world of boat-building meets the “accurate to a fraction of a mm” world of engine and transmission. The key was that the hold-down studs were in the middle of the bearers (for maximum strength) and the engine’s “cam-belt” pulley was truly in line with the pullet on the prop-shaft.
This inevitably leads to an hour or two of “eyeing it up”, followed by a couple of goes at “marking it out” followed by that moment where one “girds ones loins”, picks up the drill and “goes for it”!
With the holes in and the studs loosely in place we tried to wrestle the engine onto its bolts while it swung on the hoist. Eventually it was done, and checked that it would all line up.
Leaving it overnight, we came back this morning, re-slung the engine to get it to better hang level, then lifted it up, removed the studs, filled the holes with neat epoxy, let that soak in and then re-filled with thickened epoxy. Then fitted the drip tray/sump, the engine spacers and lowered the engine back into place, fitting the studs from above this time – some amount of fishing was needed to get all the studs properly located into their holes, but it all went together, and is now “setting” overnight.
Just a few to provide the flavour of the process…(as usual, click for a bigger pic). Boiler next!