Just a note to say that Befur is out on the hard now, so we can commence the over-winter work.
We made about 5 or 6 trips on the lake in the season, and spend quite a few days on the mooring spannering the various issues we had into submission.
However, just before we fetched her out the first named Storm of the year “Ali” produced some impressive weather, with gusts of over 70mph on Ullswater. We stopped by to see how she was doing on her mooring – here is a video…
The main task is to find the source of all the knocking and rumbling (which I still think is most likely a fractured crank) and then tackle some other outstanding issues. This list is to remind me what is to be done:
- Inspect/fix/remake the Crank
- Cure the leaks between HP cylinder and Valve Chest
- Make some Gauge Cocks (to damp the pressure surges in the gauges)
- Tidy up the fittings for the stern-tube cooling feed
- Re-paint antifouling (as quite a lot fell off!)
- Inspect/test all the vacuum side for leaks as it’s still quite low (~10-15 inches hg)
- Make a new ball-cock valve for hotwell (plug-cock type)
- Maybe make some drawers for the galley
- Fit a stern light
- Think about remaking the cockpit sole to improve access to stern-gland etc.
- Fit a seacock to the blow-down line (to allow the flexible hose to be removed when afloat)
- Install a skin-fitting for the bilge ejector…
- Make a whistle that whistles!
- Attend a VHF course, to get my license 🙂
Yesterday I stripped down the plant ready to have the engine lifted out next week. I also took some pictures to remind us how it all goes back together!