Progress on the Rig

While January is pretty cold here in Cumbria, we have managed to make some progress on the Rig, here are some pictures and notes…

Mast etc.

We are progressing with the fitting of the mast and rigging…

We have had a slight re-think on the fitting the foot of the mast to the tabernacle, making a wooden block to take up most of the space, and then use casting rubber to make the final fit. This involved a lot of dust, milling an old ash log to a suitable fit (pictures below). It wasn’t the finest piece of lumber, but it is only in compression and surrounded by pretty rigid rubber.

But now we need to wait for some slightly warmer, dryer, calmer weather to drag the boat outside and raise the mast so that we can pour the rubber and let it set. (click for bigger images).

Also below a couple of pictures to show the mast in position on the boat.

 

As noted previously we installed a demountable bi-pod on the top of the tabernacle to allow us to hoist the mast using a 4-part purchase secured to the bow roller (with an additional strop from the bow-roller to the stem eye – to prevent it being ripped from the foredeck!).

As a by-the-way, here is a picture of us attacking the (now) rotten cabin roof to remove the delaminated ply and make the slot for the mast to swing through as it is raised.

Starting on the job of cutting the delaminated ply from the roof of the cabin.

In the last couple of days we have installed combing around the slot the mast swings though in the cabin roof. This is just to provide fixings for the mast boot, and provide a clean edge for the new cabin roof panels. We up-cycled some old mahogany floor boards which we donated to the project by friends Mike and Di.

Sail

Louise is the brains and hands behind this part of the project. We are following (religiously) Arne Kverneland’s (from the Junk Rig Association) instructions on building cambered panel Junk sails. With his plans, notes and “how-to” words this seems to be going well. (Thank you Arne!).

Louise has assembled the three lower panels with all the associated hemming and batten pockets. Fortunately, the Junk Rig sail can be lofted, cut and prepared one panel at a time. So with 3.9meter batten lengths and panel heights of around 1.5meters panel heights we can just lay these out in the kitchen…. I’m thoroughly impressed with her skills and the result.

Fortunately, we had a very old Brother sewing machine, and because it is so old, it is built strongly enough to cope with the sail cloth.

The nature of the junk rig is that the actual sail cloth can be quite light as it is just “catching the wind”, all the stresses are carried by the battens and “bolt rope” webbing sewn around the edges of the sail.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.