A day we thought we might be never reach, has arrived ☺.
Today we put the first paint on Befur,it’s only primer but it is a milestone.
We have decided to use Epifanes 2-pack polyurethane for the hull cockpit, decks and topsides (and something cheaper for inside)! So £480 later we have the necessary under and top coats.
Onwards! (You can tell we are excited by all the exclamation marks!!!)
Collecting the trailer tomorrow and the mast on Tuesday – real progress.
Louise (having retired) has joined as a full-time worker now, and progress is much improved… She has become an expert epoxy filleter, and having two people to hold a job, or get the pencil you left on the bench when you’re up-side-down in the cabin saves a huge amount of time.
We have fitted the cabin roof, and almost completed the initial fit-out of the cabin and started on the seating (which also provides a deal of strength to the hull in the cockpit), so feel like we are moving quicker.
We compiled a (slightly daunting) list of outstanding jobs, ~80 of them, and are actually ticking some of them off!!! Cumbria is feeling closer!
A selection of recent pics:
A Chart Table!
Cabin Roof – well screwed!
Cockpit combing in place
As we move inexorably towards August I am feeling the pressure to finish Befur ready for the move to Cumbria!
We have ordered a trailer from Gecko Trailers in Cornwall, (who’s spelling is worse than mine)! that is due to arrive in 6 weeks, so I think it’s defining a definite end date Continue reading
Just a quick note, the last week or so have been dedicated to the building of the cabin on Befur, and the first stages of internal fit-out.
This has involved the fitting of the cabin sides (as seen in the last post’s pictures), and the fitting of internal bulkheads, (e.g. the walls of the loo and heads for the bunks.) This has involved more “spilling” to get the shapes from the hull for cutting of the bulkheads (a remarkably accurate process) and fitting these too the hull using epoxy filets. Continue reading
Boat building for botchers!
I have returned to work on finishing and fitting out the hull, and in the process come to the conclusion that boat building using strip-plank/epoxy is mostly a process of sculpture using wood and epoxy as the constructional elements. I must confess that this approach really rewards the botcher, as there seems to be no need for the kind and quality of woodworking skills traditionally needed – in fact I think they may be a disadvantage. 🙂 Continue reading
Just a note to bring up to date the state of the fit-out and progress over the last month…
We have fitted:
- Chain-locker for anchor, rode etc.
- Mast/partners support steelwork
- Foredeck (although we need to cut out hatch for chain-locker, glass and then fit teak decking)
- Aft deck (hatches, glassing and decking also to be fitted)
- Two v-bunks
- Side-deck structure alongside coach-house to allow access to foredeck – (ply deck, glass and teak still to come)
- Cabin rear bulkhead (this needs to be in place now to allow cabin roof carlins to be located and fitted)
- Made three cabin-roof beams to entirely the wrong camber (#expensiveFirewood)
- Made two cabin-roof beams to the right camber (two more needed)
This is a hotchpotch of notes on progress we have made in the last few weeks.
I am now focusing my attention on the internal fit-out. We need to get Befur in a state to move her on a trailer to our new home in Cumbria in August, this is adding some needed pressure, to ensure we get everything done in time… Continue reading
The current process is trying to finalise the major items in the fit-out of the boat, so that I can install the major structural elements for the cabin and mast. This is a bit of a “round in circles” process, You imagine how it will be, draw it out, see it doesn’t fit, imagine it again etc. Clearly some items will fall out later in the process, but we do need to get the mast, boiler, engine in the right place and make sure that one is not sharing the loo (head) with the other members of the crew or a few hundredweight of hot steel! Continue reading
A bit of light (well heavy actually) relief
The last few weeks have been devoted to progressing the Landrover rebuild to provide a comfortable and reliable tow vehicle, vast amounts of foam insulation, lead-loaded sound deadening and carpet and new LED lights might make it quieter, but I suspect may have more effect on the fuel consumption! But with some of the new doors fitted onto the new chassis it’s starting to look like we might get there! Personally, I rather like the UN-style paint job (the doors came from different places and the new bulkhead was second hand) with a combination of white and black doors metallic blue bulkhead and the original (if faded) blue and white Landy paint job. As an alternate I fancy respraying the whole thing in “ASBO” orange, but there are descenting voices in the camp! Continue reading
Well, yesterday was a momentous day! As noted in the previous post, I was totally ready to move on and stop filling/preparing the hull and see the inside!
More assistance from Nigel Thomson from the SBA produced an excellent result.
We propped the workshop roof with some Acroprops, fitted up a selection of chain hoists (thank you Graham for loaning yours) and supported the boat in slings. We then got inside and removed a remarkable quantity of ironmongery and stripped out all the molds…. Thank you Nigel for doing the majority of this work! Continue reading