Well two bits of good news, and two less positive points, for this entry….
Positive #1 – She’s in her berth at on Windermere
Ready for the tow to Windermere, she makes quite a long train – but now has her “SY” prefix being a real Steam Yacht!
So, having dispensed with the medical matters (see below), we set about trying to complete the list of 60+ jobs that needed to be done before we could put her back in the water (some of which were discussed here…. Continue reading
Just a quick note to record the changes we made to the burner, following the failures on Windermere and Ullswater.
The conclusion was that these failures were mostly heat related. But also we fitted three new control boxes to the burner before we found one that worked!!…
The solutions were:
- Fit a heat absorbing blanket to the outside of the boiler casing to reduce the radiated heat impacting the burner.
- Fit an external duct to cause the intake air to be drawn via the control-box and ignition transformer assemblies (to help cool them)
- Strip and rebuild the burner, fitting new magic eye, solenoid, control box, ignition transformer, motor capacitor and a somewhat worn pump drive coupling.
As noted in an earlier post, this seems to have done the job, so here are some pictures:
Burner with duct disassembled. Original intake on left, new intake on right, with sound-deadening foam
Burner with duct disassembled. Original intake on right, new intake on left, with sound-deadening foam
Assembled Air duct on re-built burner
Burner on stand ready for testing
Another snowy day in Heggerscales
As April begins the weather returns to snow and cold, so it seems a good time to provide a progress report.
We are working towards getting Befur into the water for 2019 – I was hoping for April 1st, but (as always) I am behind plan. However, it really is too cold to be on the water, so we will remained chilled about our position.
So, here is a list of the main activity of the last few weeks:
Those of you who have been following Befur’s progress will know that our first year in the water was marred by the failure of the crankshaft in the Leak Compound engine I built.
This post deals with the manufacture of a replacement, and the results of my research/experience into the approaches to building cranks for “small” (<20HP) marine steam plants.
Methods of Manufacture
Well, I have been very quiet over the last few months, but some work has progressed. As I noted in October, we had a quite extensive list of snagging to address, not least the crankshaft re-manufacture…. well, while quiet on line, I have made some progress in the background, so I figured an update is in order: Continue reading
Well, we have been working very hard to try to get Befur ready for the water, and this picture of me taking a break from boat building (on a blacksmith’s course seemed to epitomise what life is like….). – thank you Becca for the course, provided as a Christmas present, at a real Elizabethan forge! Continue reading
I noticed that I had not written anything since the end of March, and I guess (unconsciously) this was because I had intended to have Befur ready for the water on the first of April, and that clearly wasn’t happening – and addressing that fact in print was a bridge too far!
However, we have been far from idle, and I actually do think we should be there for the first week of June (fingers-crossed). So here is a quick review of progress in April and May.
Checking the Solar Panels
Having craned the engine and boiler into the hull we have now settled the position of the key components and can start to deal with some of the remaining fitting out tasks.
We are still aiming for an April Launch, but in true project planning style we had not said which day in April, so we have a few days left. The following items have been addressed so far:
With the snow too deep to open the doors today, a few words on the last couple of weeks work seem appropriate.
We are still working towards an April launch, but there is a fair amount still to do. Continue reading
Just a note to commemorate another milestone. Yesterday we (neighbour Mike and I) lifted the engine into the boat! Hurrah!
We had spent a deal of time debating how best to do this, with the hydraulic bucket on the tractor being the initial option – but in the end we both felt a bit “windy” about working under the engine held up by an ageing tractor, and instead opted for the “trusty” Chinese chain-hoist strapped to an RSJ in the roof of Mike’s barn. We then picked the engine up, and manoeuvred the boat under the engine. To make it more interesting, we really don’t know how heavy it is – but the two of us could not lift it by hand to get it to the engine crane to put on a trailer for the trip to the barn (200yd push in light snow!)
The decision as to installation was to epoxy four M10 studs into the engine bearers and then use nuts on the studs to secure the engine bed down. Continue reading