Tag Archives: Burner Failure

Burner Fixes

Just a quick note to record the changes we made to the burner, following the failures on Windermere and Ullswater.

The conclusion was that these failures were mostly heat related. But also we fitted three new control boxes to the burner before we found one that worked!!…

The solutions were:

  • Fit a heat absorbing blanket to the outside of the boiler casing to reduce the radiated heat impacting the burner.
  • Fit an external duct to cause the intake air to be drawn via the control-box and ignition transformer assemblies (to help cool them)
  • Strip and rebuild the burner, fitting new magic eye, solenoid, control box, ignition transformer, motor capacitor and a somewhat worn pump drive coupling.

As noted in an earlier post, this seems to have done the job, so here are some pictures:

Advertisements

One Year since Launch!

Well we are probably due an update….

Windermere

We just spent a week camping on the boat in the company of the SBA (Steam Boat Association of the UK) on Windermere.

A curate’s egg of a week! We did get a very fine trip down to Fell Foot (at the south of the lake) and had some nice pictures taken of us on the way 🙂

Continue reading