Well winter is with us
A quick note on where we are at, while we wait to hear from Windermere Lake Wardens on our application for a berth at Ferry Nab next year….
The boat is back in Heggerscale, and we are working on the following items:
- LP cylinder “small end” (crosshead bearing) replacement: This had worn, partly due to a severed oil line at some point last year, and partly due to the fact I had to “re-ream” it at erection time to correct some misalignment. So a new bush fitted and reamed to size.
- HP valvechest to HP Cylinder block leak: This is a recurring problem, there just is very little sealing surface round the port pockets. This year’s fix is an Oakenstrong gasket and Steamseal – let’s see if this works!
- Cabin roof: Learnt a lesson here about cheap plywood…A small leak around the antenna cable resulted in the delamination of almost the complete forward part of the cabin roof. So it’s now been cut off, and will be replaced with “genuine” marine ply, and clad in epoxy and cloth like the hull – hopefully with more resilience! As it happens the removal of this rotten wood made the next job much easier.
- Erecting the mast: As you may have read in an earlier post the Mast Partners had been made, so in the last few weeks we installed this on the boat, inserted the mast, and then started to wonder how on-earth we were going to raise the mast to a vertical position. Practical Junk Rig as usual came up with a good solution. This involved using a “bi-pod and running fore-guy” which worked faultlessly, so we saw the mast upright for the first time yesterday! This is almost a single-handed job, which is good, as it will be repeated each time we need to trailer and re-launch her.
Masthead fitting, with halyard crane, and other blocks for various parrels and lasy-jacks.
The next bit of this process, is to fit the masthead fitting (pictured above), (with navigation lights, VHF antenna and various shackles and blocks. Then we will cast a hard rubber square block at the foot of the mast, to secure it in the tabernacle base – the only problem with this is that the rubber components say they need to be mixed and poured at over 20-degrees C to cure, and it’s currently about -5-degrees C….
- Once all this is done, we will put the boiler thru her annual test, and then reinstall the engine and hopefully enjoy SY Befur in her intended mode as a Sailing Yacht!
- Oh yes, and we also need to turn a pile of sailcloth, blocks, shackles, rope and ally battens into a sail – more on that later!
Well that worked!
It would appear that the work on the burner paid off. Yesterday we had a fine day’s trip on Ullswater, from the marina at Watermillock, all the way to Glenridding without a single problem – virtually the full length of Ullswater. (About 3½ hours steaming). The first time we have managed the full length of the lake!
We took most of it at a leisurely pace, with a couple of bursts of speed to avoid yachts out racing…. Continue reading
Well, a good day! Befur went back on the water yesterday, and it would appear that the work over the winter worked well.
Another snowy day in Heggerscales
As April begins the weather returns to snow and cold, so it seems a good time to provide a progress report.
We are working towards getting Befur into the water for 2019 – I was hoping for April 1st, but (as always) I am behind plan. However, it really is too cold to be on the water, so we will remained chilled about our position.
So, here is a list of the main activity of the last few weeks:
This post continues/concludes the story of manufacturing a new crank for Befur from the last post.
Here we can see the re-assembled engine with new crank. We are still to install all the ancillaries (reversing gear, lubrication, condenser and feed/air pump & alternator drive.)
It took 6-man days from receiving the crank back from the grinders to reach this stage.
Once we have tested it on air, we will reinstall it on the boat and undertake this year’s boiler test and check all is as it should be.
Machining Crank Pins
Those of you who have been following Befur’s progress will know that our first year in the water was marred by the failure of the crankshaft in the Leak Compound engine I built.
This post deals with the manufacture of a replacement, and the results of my research/experience into the approaches to building cranks for “small” (<20HP) marine steam plants.
Methods of Manufacture
Just a note to say that Befur is out on the hard now, so we can commence the over-winter work.
We made about 5 or 6 trips on the lake in the season, and spend quite a few days on the mooring spannering the various issues we had into submission.
However, just before we fetched her out the first named Storm of the year “Ali” produced some impressive weather, with gusts of over 70mph on Ullswater. We stopped by to see how she was doing on her mooring – here is a video…
The main task is to find the source of all the knocking and rumbling (which I still think is most likely a fractured crank) and then tackle some other outstanding issues. This list is to remind me what is to be done:
- Inspect/fix/remake the Crank
- Cure the leaks between HP cylinder and Valve Chest
- Make some Gauge Cocks (to damp the pressure surges in the gauges)
- Tidy up the fittings for the stern-tube cooling feed
- Re-paint antifouling (as quite a lot fell off!)
- Inspect/test all the vacuum side for leaks as it’s still quite low (~10-15 inches hg)
- Make a new ball-cock valve for hotwell (plug-cock type)
- Maybe make some drawers for the galley
- Fit a stern light
- Think about remaking the cockpit sole to improve access to stern-gland etc.
- Fit a seacock to the blow-down line (to allow the flexible hose to be removed when afloat)
- Install a skin-fitting for the bilge ejector…
- Make a whistle that whistles!
- Attend a VHF course, to get my license 🙂