Tag Archives: marine steam engine

Getting to the end of the worklist

I’m falling behind! No progress update since January – sorry.

We have been working hard to get her ready for re-entering the water… This winter’s workslist has turned into quite a major refit.

The list below shows the work we are undertaking, and all is completed except installing the engine and the work on mast and rigging.

Maintenance

  • Varnish anchor chocks
  • Varnish side decks and tiller
  • Fill & re-paint the various dings & dents in paint work
  • Check / remake lower rudder pintle
  • Re-coat antifoul
  • Adjust masthead block locations
  • Inspect/fix paint bubbles at waterline
  • Complete inspection and maintenance of engine

Improvements

Engine & Boiler

  • Remove Worthing Simpson duplex circulating pump.
  • Fit new Jabsco circulating  pump.
  • Fit Alfa-Laval plate condenser.
  • Calibrate Vac gauge.
  • Make new LP Valve to fix timing.
  • Remake HP valve to fix timing and cure leaks.
  • Reset eccentrics, to fix timing.
  • Cross-head re-fit to correct clearances.
  • Re-furbish feed-pump seals & slow gearing.
  • Replace & improve scotch-crank pump drive.
  • Improve & tidy feed-pump plumbing.
  • Replace boiler clacks. (inspect and paint boiler drum internals).
  • Inspect and refit Air Pump piston & seal.
  • Install ancillary steam lines & valves for ejector, whistle, re-heater & kettle
  • Make improved oil filters for hotwell.

Electrical Systems

  • Add secondary battery and split charge relay
  • Install wiring for the circulating pump with fuse and switching from driving position.
  • Add electrical noise filter for NASA depth sounder.

Hull & Sail

Picture of new plate condenser & circulating pump

New bulkhead, plate condenser and circulating pump.

 

  • Install a new bulkhead on starboard side.
  • Make & fit Windermere Kettle to condenser brackets.
  • Add a Tack Line and cabin rood fixing.
  • Tidy Tack Parrel.
  • Fit Windex to masthead.
  • Adjust ballast towards the stern.
  • Fit guard around compass.
  • Fit Cam Cleat for sheets.
  • Improve sheetlet attachment to battens.

Valve Setting on a Leak Compound

This time we are looking at how to fix the problems with the Leak’s valve gear design. This is now part of our Leak Hints and Tips section on the known errors or problems with Leak design……

As we get to the end of January 2022, the tuning/rebuild/shopping of Befur’s engine continues, once this is complete we can get on with the list of hull and fittings-related work. But it seems we should at least explain what work the last few months have contained…

Continue reading

Progress – a new scotch crank pump drive

A last quick post for the day, then it’s back to the cold workshop….

The pump drive on Befur has been an on-going source of angst and failure… So we redesigned and rebuilt it!

This appears to be much better, and pending final cleaning, plating etc. here is a video of it in action on the bench!

Winter Work (some progress)

 

 

Well, we have been working on the list we made in the last post, and have some positive news, and some better understanding of the problems…

Wear

I spent a couple of days with the engine on the bench and a dial indicator attempting to find and measure the wear or absence of same…. We have a page or two of measurements…

Continue reading

SBA 50th Rally

A memorable week: variable weather, lots of friends,
some mechanical mayhem

The first week of August is “Windermere Week” for the SBA, where a number of members gather, with their boats, and a number of marine and social events occur. This year it marked the 50th anniversary of the SBA, so more jollity was ordered and delivered. Continue reading

Is this the end? Probably not!

Timeframe missed a bit

Well, looking back the first post here was on 8th June 2011, and we aimed to finish and launch by 26th June 2015 – planning was never my hot spot! We did change the goal posts in mid-flight (adding a sail, loo, etc, and stretching her from  a planned 16ft to almost 27ft to get everything in, but hey we did get there!), and on the 20th July 2020 we took her for a steam and sail on Windermere with a cameraman (Roger Heise from the SBA) on hand to record her 2nd trip under sail (thank you Roger).

Notes on the Steam Bit

Before I inflict an album of sailing photos on you, a couple of notes on the steam side, especially for Leak Compound builders…. Continue reading

A Goal Achieved!

Well that worked!

It would appear that the work on the burner paid off. Yesterday we had a fine day’s trip on Ullswater, from the marina at Watermillock, all the way to Glenridding without a single problem – virtually the full length of Ullswater. (About 3½ hours steaming). The first time we have managed the full length of the lake!

We took most of it at a leisurely pace, with a couple of bursts of speed to avoid yachts out racing…. Continue reading

Steamboat Crankshafts – Lessons & Manufacture Pt#2

This post continues/concludes the story of manufacturing a new crank for Befur from the last post.

Here we can see the re-assembled engine with new crank. We are still to install all the ancillaries (reversing gear, lubrication, condenser and feed/air pump & alternator drive.)

It took 6-man days from receiving the crank back from the grinders to reach this stage.

Once we have tested it on air, we will reinstall it on the boat and undertake this year’s boiler test and check all is as it should be.

Machining Crank Pins

Continue reading